Award-winning technology makes microbiologically contaminated water safe to drink.
LifeStraw Family 1.0 is a large volume water purifier providing up to 4750 gallons or 18000 liters of water, enough to supply a family of five with clean drinking water for up to three years. It's useful to have at home to purify contaminated tap water in the event of boil water advisories or emergency situations. In a worst-case scenario, you can rely on the LifeStraw Family to purify water from any freshwater source near your home.
Lightweight and portable, LifeStraw Family is perfect for point-of-use water filtration while travelling or camping in remote areas. It makes filtering water a breeze at base camps, while vehicle camping or camping with groups.
Features & Benefits:
- Filters up to 4,750 gallons or 18,000 liters of water to 0.02 microns (20 nm)
- Removes minimum 99.999% of viruses (>LOG 5 reduction)
- Removes minimum 99.9999% of bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
- Removes minimum 99.99% of protozoan cysts (>LOG 4 reduction)
- Requires no electrical power, batteries, or replacement parts
- Requires no running water or piped-in water supply
- Flow-rate of 9-12 liters/hour
- Has an easy-to-clean pre-filter and purification cartridge
- All raw materials are US FDA compliant or equivalent
- Internationally recognized & award-winning water filter
- Used worldwide in harsh conditions since 2005
How LifeStraw Family Works:
LifeStraw Family uses advanced hollow fiber technology. Water is forced through narrow fibers under high pressure. Clean water exits through tiny pores in the walls of the hollow fibers, but bacteria, viruses, protozoa and other contaminants are trapped inside the hollow fibers and are flushed out by backwashing. This is a highly efficient method of filtration.
- The feed water bucket (2 liter capacity) is filled with water.
- The 80-micron textile pre-filter (inside the feed water bucket) removes coarser particles and is easy to clean.
- Water passes through the meter-long blue PVC hose and gravity creates sufficient pressure on the membrane cartridge in order to reach a high flow rate.
- Ultra filtration takes place in the hollow fiber membrane cartridge - a pore size of 20 nanometers (0.02 microns) retains bacteria, viruses, parasites and fine dirt particles.
- The blue tap is turned to release purified water.
- Backwash the membrane by squeezing the red backwash bulb 3 times with both taps closed and then releasing the dirty water from the red tap. Water from the red tap should never be consumed.
The Science Behind LifeStraw:
Backed by serious research in our international labs and extensive testing in the field, LifeStraw and LifeStraw Family have been distributed to nearly every major international humanitarian disaster since 2005 and in broad public health campaigns in the millions.
The same high-tech design used in places like Haiti, Indonesia, South Africa, Kenya, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Pakistan and Bangladesh is now available in the USA and Canada.
- Additional Info